Category: Industrial Hygiene (IH)
GEM Technologies, Inc. (GEM) is seeking a Sr. Safety / IH Professional (Night Shift) to join our team at the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, TN, which provides integral mission support to the NNSA. The ideal candidate has experience with general DOE operations, performing project oversight and investigations, and can work unique hours.
This position will serve the Y-12 National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, TN.
About the site: https://nnsa.energy.gov/aboutus/ourlocations/y-12-national-security-complex
**PLEASE NOTE: This position is full-time and will be primarily night shift coverage; some overtime Monday through Saturday may occur.
- Provide hands-on, daily Safety and Industrial Hygiene (S&IH) professional level support to Y-12 organizations including Production, Maintenance, and/or Construction activities, as assigned.
- Perform field and/or project oversight of work activities, facility oversight inspections (including noise sampling, confined space sampling, daily job coverage, etc.), and chemical hygiene walk downs.
- Work with management and supervision to implement appropriate S&IH plans, activities, and requirements.
- Assist in developing work activity plans.
- Perform S&IH hazards identification/recognition and assessments.
- Ensure controls required to mitigate identified hazards are implemented.
- Review safety documents.
- Carefully adhere to policies and procedures/
- Attend various project meetings.
- Perform accident, injury, and incident investigations.
- Use judgement in carrying out assignments and work independently to evaluate and apply technical concepts to solve daily problems.
- Provide technical support related to the interpretation of laws, codes, standards, regulatory requirements, and policies/procedures.
- Assist in writing and processing complex and difficult hygiene analyses by a variety of methodologies an using a wide range of laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Track and trend safety data for use in programmatic improvement and field safety improvements.
- Maintain time-based metrics and develop associated reports to support improvements.
- Oversee design, review, construction, and operation of the processing system.
- Bachelor's degree and 20+ years’ of directly relevant experience.
- Experience performing all types of personal, area, breathing zone, and direct-reading instrument sampling.
- Knowledge of OSHA (29 CFR), EPA (40 CFR), and DOT (49 CFR) regulations and requirements.
- CSP or CIH Certification, preferred.
- Ability to effectively interact within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Must be able to climb ladders/stairs, work in hot/cold environments, and operate a motor vehicle.
- Due to the nature of the work, a U.S. Citizenship is required.
About GEM: We are a federal contractor to the Department of Energy, its major contractors, and state-level and commercial agencies throughout the nation. Founded in 1994 as an engineering and technical services company, our service lines have since expanded to include environmental remediation, facilities maintenance, construction, demolition, and waste management. We are headquartered near Oak Ridge, TN, and provide nationwide services in locations that include Texas, Illinois, Idaho, Kentucky, New Mexico, Ohio, Georgia, and South Carolina.
GEM Technologies Inc., is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer